Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
Diego Simeone reflected on another scoreless outing for Atleti against Villarreal, with his side having failed to find the net in 300 minutes.
Atlético Madrid head coach Diego Simeone lamented another goalless outing for his onion bag-shy team away at Villarreal as a 0-0 draw confirmed that his Atleti side are now officially the lowest-scoring in 83 years of Spanish top-flight football.
Simeone's side failed to win for the third consecutive LaLiga match following Friday's stalemate away to Villarreal and also lost 1-0 to Juventus in the Champions League, adding to a barren run of 300 minutes without a goal stretching back to Lodi's strike in a 1-1 draw against Granada in Novermber.
It was another toothless showing by sixth-placed Atlético, who have only scored 16 goals in as many league games this season.
"It is normal that when you generate so many chances and do not convert, anxiety appears," Simeone told reporters. "And more anxiety, less precision.
"When anxiety disappears, tranquillity and precision will come from the players we have. Today we had clear occasions, Joao Félix and [Renan] Lodi's, but we did not define them correctly."
Atlético eyeing Cavani and Werner
Atlético could end the weekend seven points adrift of third-placed Sevilla and eight behind leaders Barcelona.
"At the moment, what worries me is to win a game and everything will be looked after in a different way," Simeone said.
Atlético captain Koke added: "In front of goal we have no fortune, precision or I do not know what is missing. To win you have to score goals.
"The team defends well, gives everything, but we need to be more precise to all, the strikers, the midfielders, the defenders..."
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?