Barcelona: Suárez scores sublime backheeled goal in Mallorca win
Luis Suárez left spectators open-mouthed by scoring with a sumptuous backheel in Barcelona's 5-2 LaLiga victory over Real Mallorca on Saturday.
While Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi collected the match ball after scoring a record 35th LaLiga hat-trick on Saturday, Luis Suárez scored what was undoubtedly the goal of the night as the Blaugrana eased to a 5-2 LaLiga win over Real Mallorca.
Suárez scores for Barcelona with stunning backheel
Receiving the ball inside the area with his back to goal in the 43rd minute, Suárez left spectators open-mouthed by finding the net with a stunning, backheeled strike that flew across Manolo Reina and into the Mallorca goalkeeper's right-hand corner.
Before being capped by the Uruguayan's impudent, ingenious finish, the goal also featured a sublime sequence of build-up play involving Sergi Roberto, Ivan Rakitic, Frenkie de Jong, Sergio Busquets, Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann.
Suárez's effort will go down in history alongside other memorable backheeled goals to be scored in Spanish football, such as Alfredo di Stéfano's for Real Madrid against Real Valladolid in 1954, and Cristiano Ronaldo's, also for Madrid, at Rayo Vallecano in 2012.
Suárez hails "one of the best goals of my career"
Speaking post-match, Suárez said of his 11th goal of the season: "I knew that I didn't have much of an angle. The only option I had was to try and connect as strongly as possible with my heel to try and limit the goalkeeper's chances of saving it.
"It's one of the best goals of my career."
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Lampard's Chelsea equal entire 2019-20 error tally in 45 minutes
- Atlético Madrid Simeone wants Suárez to be a Falcao-like catalyst for success
- Premier League Premier League Preview: Liverpool vs Arsenal
- Premier League Solskjaer admits Man Utd 'got away with one' after last-gasp victory
- STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus checks: what is proposed in Democrats' new $2.4 trillion plan?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: update on coronavirus economic relief bill