Messi hat-trick, the perfect way to celebrate the Ballon d'Or – Ernesto Valverde
Ernesto Valverde heaped praise on Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi after his hat trick inspired Barcelona's 5-2 romp against Real Mallorca.
Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde felt that Leo Messi could not have celebrated winning this year's Ballon d'Or in better fashion that he did with his record-breaking hat-trick at Camp Nou on Saturday night. Messi picked up his sixth Ballon d'Or earlier in the week, and his three goals against Mallorca put Barça back at the top of the table. Messi has now overtaken Cristiano Ronaldo, setting a new record for the most hat-tricks in LaLiga history.
After Messi's exhibition display, Valverde was lost for words. "Unbelievable," he told reporters after the match. "It was a good way to celebrate the Ballon d'Or."
Valverde taken aback by Suárez backheel
While Messi dominated headlines with his latest match-winning exploits, his strike partner Luis Suárez scored a magnificent back-heel to round off a fluid passing move against Mallorca. On Suarez's 43rd-minute goal, Valverde added: "The situation took me by surprise. I thought it was a pass to a team-mate. It surprised me, but it was an extraordinary goal. I told him that there had been a few easier chances and this one, which was improbable, went in."
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man Utd boss wants trio to take up Ronaldo, Rooney, Tévez mantle
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: LaLiga Santander, how and where to watch
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Ban for Real Madrid's Valverde no surprise to Atlético boss Simeone
- LALIGA SANTANDER The closet fought LaLiga campaign for 17 years
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern: Flick admits transfer demands have changed
- Real Madrid Benzema included in Real Madrid 19-man-squad for Sevilla match