Messi hat-trick, the perfect way to celebrate the Ballon d'Or – Ernesto Valverde
Ernesto Valverde heaped praise on Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi after his hat trick inspired Barcelona's 5-2 romp against Real Mallorca.
Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde felt that Leo Messi could not have celebrated winning this year's Ballon d'Or in better fashion that he did with his record-breaking hat-trick at Camp Nou on Saturday night. Messi picked up his sixth Ballon d'Or earlier in the week, and his three goals against Mallorca put Barça back at the top of the table. Messi has now overtaken Cristiano Ronaldo, setting a new record for the most hat-tricks in LaLiga history.
After Messi's exhibition display, Valverde was lost for words. "Unbelievable," he told reporters after the match. "It was a good way to celebrate the Ballon d'Or."
Valverde taken aback by Suárez backheel
While Messi dominated headlines with his latest match-winning exploits, his strike partner Luis Suárez scored a magnificent back-heel to round off a fluid passing move against Mallorca. On Suarez's 43rd-minute goal, Valverde added: "The situation took me by surprise. I thought it was a pass to a team-mate. It surprised me, but it was an extraordinary goal. I told him that there had been a few easier chances and this one, which was improbable, went in."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Donald Trump links job numbers to a ‘great day’ for George Floyd
- Coronavirus New York records lowest number of daily coronavirus deaths since pandemic started
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- George Floyd George Floyd death: what do we know about the four police officers? Charges and backgrounds
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus How much money has been sent in stimulus checks and how much remains unsent?