Valverde could make nine changes for Barcelona's match against Inter Milan
Busquets, Messi and Suárez may be rested as Barça think about the trip to San Sebastian and the upcoming Clásico.
Barcelona's 3-1 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League means Valverde can decide what he wants to do in the game against Inter Milan. It's true second place in the group is in play, but that's of no concern to Barça who have won the group outright and can decide whether they'd prefer to rest players for the last group stage game.
Messi likely to be rested for Champions League
Although Valverde is not expected to release his squad list until Monday (Barcelona train at midday before heading to Milan), it's expected that the coach will rest several big names. In principle, Busquets, Messi and Suárez will miss the match, while Sergi Roberto, Lenglet, Piqué and Rakitic will likely travel but play a limited role.
Chances for playing time
Valverde will use the opportunity therefore to give playing time to some lesser names in the squad. Neto, Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Aleñá, Vidal and Carles Pérez could all start against Inter. Whether Arthur and Ansu Fati play will depend on the state of their injuries (groin and patellar tendon, respectively).
A likely starting XI for Barcelona could be: Neto; Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Júnior; De Jong, Aleñá, Vidal; Carles Pérez, Griezmann and Ansu.
Barça B players Riqui Puig, Collado, Abel and Hiroki Abe could all also be in the squad and get playing time.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how could a new stimulus affect unemployment benefits?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Solskjaer: Manchester United one of England's most consistent teams
- AC Milan Ibrahimovic has no retirement plans "as long as I feel good"
- Barca president Tusquets clarifies Messi comments following Koeman criticism
- SEVILLA 0-1 REAL MADRID Real Madrid boss Zidane reflects on "tough last few days"
- US Election 2020 US Election: when is the electoral college vote?