Valverde could make nine changes for Barcelona's match against Inter Milan
Busquets, Messi and Suárez may be rested as Barça think about the trip to San Sebastian and the upcoming Clásico.
Barcelona's 3-1 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League means Valverde can decide what he wants to do in the game against Inter Milan. It's true second place in the group is in play, but that's of no concern to Barça who have won the group outright and can decide whether they'd prefer to rest players for the last group stage game.
Messi likely to be rested for Champions League
Although Valverde is not expected to release his squad list until Monday (Barcelona train at midday before heading to Milan), it's expected that the coach will rest several big names. In principle, Busquets, Messi and Suárez will miss the match, while Sergi Roberto, Lenglet, Piqué and Rakitic will likely travel but play a limited role.
Chances for playing time
Valverde will use the opportunity therefore to give playing time to some lesser names in the squad. Neto, Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Aleñá, Vidal and Carles Pérez could all start against Inter. Whether Arthur and Ansu Fati play will depend on the state of their injuries (groin and patellar tendon, respectively).
A likely starting XI for Barcelona could be: Neto; Wague, Todibo, Umtiti, Júnior; De Jong, Aleñá, Vidal; Carles Pérez, Griezmann and Ansu.
Barça B players Riqui Puig, Collado, Abel and Hiroki Abe could all also be in the squad and get playing time.
Te recomendamos en English
- Mourinho quips: Will Man Utd get Man City's 2018 title after FFP breach?
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's season set to be determined by the next 30 days
- PORTUGAL Extraordinary scenes as Porto's Marega walks off pitch over racist chants
- REAL MADRID Rodrygo and Vinicius seem inextricably linked
- JUVENTUS Sarri explains reasons for Ronaldo's omission following Juventus win
- Champions League Champions League Istanbul 2020 final match-ball revealed