Manchester United can secure a top four finish, says Maguire
Harry Maguire feels that Manchester United have enough punch in attack and challenge Chelsea for fourth place in the Premier League table.
Manchester United have enough firepower in attack to make a push for the top four in the Premier League, says Harry Maguire, but he also warned that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side have got to take one step at a time. United claimed their second successive victory with a 2-1 victory over Manchester City in Saturday's derby - just three days after defeating Tottenham - managed by former boss José Mourinho - by the same scoreline.
United now within five points of Chelsea
The wins have taken United up to fifth, five points behind fourth-place Chelsea, who on Saturday lost 3-1 to Everton - United's next opponents in the league. With Marcus Rashford having already matched his total tally of league goals from last season and Anthony Martial having netted what proved to be the winner against City, Maguire believes United's frontline has the quality to push them towards Champions League qualification.
However, the England centre-back is adamant United's squad will stay grounded, with the league outside of the top four still heavily congested. "I think you need to look after your own results, don't look elsewhere, keep winning games," Maguire told Sky Sports. "We've won back-to-back games against Spurs and City. We've got another big game next week now. The top four is in sight but we just keep looking after our own results, keep trying to get the three points and keep improving. Over the last month or so, I feel like as a defender I look at the forwards and think they're going to score goals. At the start of the season, we didn't really score more than one goal in a game but now I think it's a few games on the spin where we're back to scoring goals. They're a big threat, they're top players, great talent and I think it's all coming together now."
United's three fixtures before Christmas
Before hosting Everton on Sunday, United face AZ Alkmaar in their final Europa League group match on Thursday, with an EFL Carabao Cup quarter-final against Colchester United coming up the week before Christmas.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?