Liverpool show their class in the second half and head into the last 16
After a frenetic first half in which both sides wasted several chances, Liverpool stamped their authority with goals from Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah.
Two goals inside two second-half minutes from Naby Keita and Mohamed Salah ensured defending champions Liverpool moved into the last 16 of the Champions League with a 2-0 victory over Salzburg on Tuesday.
Liverpool get the point they needed
Juergen Klopp's side needed a point in Austria to be sure of qualification and after missing several good chances in the first half, the runaway Premier League leaders settled their nerves when Keita headed them in front, against his former club, in the 57th minute.
Andy Robertson fed Mané who burst down the left past Jerome Onguene and he rounded Salzburg keeper Cican Stankovic, who had rushed out of his area, before lofting a cross into the box which was firmly headed home by Keita.
A minute later, Stankovic's readiness to leave his area was behind the second goal, as Salah, wide on the right, pushed the ball around him and then impressively slotted home from the tightest possible angle.
Liverpool were in firm control from then on and wasted several chances to add to their total.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGUE 1 Real Madrid: Mbappé operation could cause a domino effect
- PREMIER LEAGUE Lampard rues missing out on 'leader' Rice
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid among list of clubs interested in 'frustrated' Kane
- PREMIER LEAGUE Watkins fires Villa in front
- EL CLÁSICO Real Madrid edge Barça in Clásicos won: 97-96
- GOLF | AUGUSTA MASTERS 2021 Augusta Masters 2021 Day 3 live online | scores and leaderboard