Real Madrid: Zidane France plan on hold as Deschamps renews
Zinedine Zidane had been touted as a possible France coach in waiting after Euro 2020 but the current Les Bleus boss will stay on until 2022.
Didier Deschamps will lead France in their World Cup defence after committing to Les Bleus through to the end of their Qatar 2022 mission.
The new deal for the head coach, confirmed at a news conference in Paris, rewards the former midfielder for his ongoing success with the national team.
Deschamps was contracted until the end of Euro 2020 but has committed for a further two and a half years to take in another World Cup trophy quest.
The Qatar finals take place from November 21 until December 18, and if Deschamps sees out his contract he will complete a full decade in his post. Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane had been linked with the Les Bleus job after leaving Real Madrid in 2018, with an eye on succeeding Deschamps after Euro 2020.
Zidane touted as Deschamps replacement in 2020
Appointed in July 2012, initially on a two-year deal, he oversaw France's Euro 2016 campaign on home soil, where they lost to Portugal in the final.
Les Bleus went one better at Russia 2018, a 4-2 victory over Croatia in the final seeing Deschamps match the feat of Franz Beckenbauer with West Germany and Mario Zagallo with Brazil in becoming a World Cup winner both as a player and as a manager.
He was captain of France's triumphant 1998 team, alongside Zidane, and played most notably at club level for Marseille and Juventus, winning the Champions League with both.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today, July 6th
- US ELECTION NEWS Kanye West announces he would run for president in 2020
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: when to contact the IRS if payment has not arrived
- coronavirus Coronavirus USA: Can you get Covid-19 twice?
- Coronavirus Second Stimulus check: when could Congress pass it - if it doesn't in August?
- Coronavirus Second Stimulus Check: How could they affect student loans?