Napoli sack Ancelotti
Carlo Ancellotti has been sacked by Napoli amid speculation that former AC Milan coach Gennaro Gattuso will take over the Serie A club.
Napoli have sacked coach Carlo Ancelotti after the Champions League victory over Genk which saw the club secure qualification for the last 16.
Speaking to Sky Sports after the Champions League win over Belgian side Genk, the Italian manager had suggested that his time at the club could be up.
"I'm not sure if I'll be on the bench next Saturday, I hope to be and I'll talk to the president (Aurelio De Laurentiis) tomorrow to clarify matters. It's a decision that the club and board now need to take,” he said.
Gatuso tipped to replace Ancelotti at Napoli
In the end Napoli's board took the decision just hours after the Genk clash, ending Ancelotti’s 16-month spell at the club.
The former Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Real Madrid coach was brought in to replace Maurizio Sarri in July, 2018. But his relationship with De Laurentiis has reportedly soured in recent months.
As speculation had intensified surrounding Ancelotti’s dismissal, so too have rumours linking former AC Milan boss Gennaro Gattuso with the now-vacant post.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus If coronavirus can’t be contained in the US it is predicted to cause over 3,000 deaths in a single day
- Serie A Coronavirus: Serie A clubs unanimously in favour of up to one-third pay cut for players
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care in London
- Coronavirus CDC face masks: how to make, use and other instructions
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Can pets get infected with COVID-19?
- Football Radomir Antic, former Real Madrid, Atlético and Barcelona coach, dies aged 71