The moment Frenkie de Jong realised Ajax were out
Barcelona had beaten Inter Milan 2-1 so it was all smiles at the final whistle in Camp Nou, that was until the Dutch youngster looked up at the screen.
The game at the Camp Nou came to a close, and despite Ernesto Valverde ringing the changes for a game that would not change their fate as group winners, Barcelona had beaten Inter Milan by two goals to one. Frenkie de Jong was one of the players celebrating at the final whistle, but there was a bittersweet moment for all to see.
De Jong's sorrow for Ajax exit
The man who left the Dutch champions in the summer to join Messi, Suárez and co. was never likely to lose feelings for his boyhood club, and this was obvious from the TV footage. While the Barça players applauded their supporters, across in Amsterdam things weren't going so well for Ajax. Over there a single goal from Rodrigo was enough to send Valencia into the Champions League knockout phase, at the expense of the home side.
As De Jong looked up at the big screen at the Camp Nou, he saw what had transpired, and his head dropped. Ajax finished the group one point behind the Spaniards and Chelsea, and drop into the Europa League.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA $100 million coronavirus fraud losses after multiple scams
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City sign Nathan Ake
- CORONAVIRUS USA Stimulus check: CARES, HEALS and HEROES Acts compared
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: when will the money arrive?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths, HEALS Act and stimulus checks, today
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Casillas: Real Madrid, Spain's prolific 'goal unscorer' retires