Xavi: Al Sadd boss dreaming of Club World Cup semi-finals
While he wants improvement from Al Sadd, head coach Xavi is eyeing the Club World Cup semi-finals.
Xavi is dreaming of the Club World Cup semi-finals after Al Sadd edged past Hienghene Sport in Doha on Wednesday.
Extra-time goals from Abdelkarim Hassan and Pedro Miguel saw Al Sadd to a 3-1 victory after Antoine Roine had earlier cancelled out Baghdad Bounedjah's opener.
Al Sadd to face Monterrey after beating Hienghene Sport
Ahead of a clash against Monterrey on Saturday, Al Sadd head coach Xavi was pleased, although he lamented his side's wastefulness.
"We wasted a number of easy chances, we were not able to score. In extra time, we managed to score and were lucky that we did not go to penalties," he told a news conference, as per the club's website. "I am happy to progress to the next round of the tournament."
The Barcelona great added: "We have dreams and goals in the upcoming game. We are 90 minutes away from the semi-final and we will strive to achieve our goal in the next game against Monterrey."
Al Sadd will have to improve in quarter-finals, Xavi warns
Xavi is expecting improvement from Al Sadd against the Mexican giants, with European champions Liverpool awaiting the winners.
"I know Monterrey, they have played very well after the change of coach. They are a quick side with many players in attack and are also good from set-pieces," he said.
"They are a very good side. If we play like we did today, things will be tough for us but if it’s our day, we can perform well."
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 MLS SEASON Inter Miami: 2021 MLS regular-season schedule
- SERIE A Cristiano Ronaldo missing for Juventus' trip to Atalanta
- QATAR 2022 Tim Cahill, aiming for success in new Aspire Academy role
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey winners list: who has lifted the most Copas?
- BASEBALL Dodgers blow as Cody Bellinger suffers hairline fracture in left fibula
- NBA Simmons backs Embiid for MVP: "I don't know how to stop him!"