Real Madrid news: Rodrygo, Vinicius, Hazard, Casemiro...
Today's Real Madrid round-up features a piece of Champions League history, good news on Eden Hazard, a memorable UEFA Cup comeback, and more.
Rodrygo, Vinicius go down in Real Madrid history books
Real Madrid's win over Club Brugge on Wednesday saw Rodrygo Goes, 18, and Vinicius Júnior, 19, create a piece of club history. The Brazilian duo both got on the scoresheet in the 3-1 victory in Belgium, making it the first time that two teenagers have netted for Madrid in a Champions League game.
Real find out Champions League fate on Monday
Having reached the knockout stages of the Champions League for the 23rd straight season, Madrid will find out the identity of their last-16 opponents at Monday's draw in Nyon, Switzerland, at 12:00 CET. The 13-time European champions will be paired with one of the five following clubs in the next phase: Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester City, Liverpool and RB Leipzig.
Hazard "won't have an operation" on ankle problem
One man who looks likely to be back in plenty of time for the last 16 is Eden Hazard, who is set to avoid surgery on the ankle injury he suffered in late November. Speaking on Wednesday, Hazard's brother, Kylian, echoed earlier reassuring comments by Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane when he said: "He won't have an operation - he'll be back in two or three weeks. He's doing fine, but he's not going to take any risks with his recovery. It's just a question of time and he'll come back stronger. He's improving and he'll be back fit in the new year."
Casemiro Clásico condundrum
Having sat out just 60 minutes of Real Madrid's season so far, Casemiro appeared a prime candidate to be rested at Brugge, but Zidane laid bare his reluctance to do without the midfield anchorman by not only starting him, but playing him for the full 90. However, given that a booking against Valencia on Sunday would leave him suspended for next week's Clásico at Barcelona, the 27-year-old is expected to be held back at Mestalla. Asked post-match about his plans for the Brazilian this weekend, Zidane said simply: "You'll have to wait and see".
On this day...
On 12 December 1984, Madrid produced a stunning UEFA Cup comeback on their way to lifting the trophy. After going down to a 3-0 first-leg defeat in their third-round tie with Anderlecht, Madrid hit six goals in just 49 minutes in the return at the Bernabéu - including a hat-trick by a young Emilio Butragueño - to seal a memorable 6-4 aggregate win over the Belgians. Los Blancos then went on to beat Tottenham, Inter Milan and Videoton as they secured what was the first of two consecutive UEFA Cup triumphs.
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Manchester United would rather sign Diogo Jota than Raul Jimenez
- NAPOLI- BARCELONA Setién: "Barcelona do not talk much about Anfield or Rome"
- Vanessa Bryant submits wrongful death lawsuit against helicopter company
- Champions League Napoli “There is no space for Hirving Lozano here”
- Thiago Silva, Herrera to miss second leg of Borussia Dortmund tie
- Liga MX Roberto Alvarado denies spitting on Enner Valencia