Bayern Munich president rallies against proposed European Super League
Herbert Hainer, Uli Hoeness' successor as Bayern Munich president, insisted the club would not support changes to the Champions League.
Bayern Munich state that they have no interest in joining a European Super League, the club's new president confirmed today. Preliminary plans for a revamped, larger-scale Champions League format - incorporating details regarding how teams would be promoted and relegated reportedly emerged in a letter the European Club Association (ECA) sent to its 232 members back in April.
German and English league say no to European Super League
The Bundesliga joins the Premier League in opposing the proposals and Germany's most powerful club remains fully invested in the current state of play, according to president Herbert Hainer. "We stand for the Bundesliga! With no ifs or buts," Hainer told Suddeutsche Zeitung. "We are not interested in any Super League at all, that can be said very clearly. We want to have international success, of course, but that's why there is the Champions League, which I think is a success story with a clear format."
ECA’s key principles for a stronger European football system pic.twitter.com/Hus1FxfyDc— ECA (@ECAEurope) September 9, 2019
Former Adidas CEO Hainer formally succeeded Uli Hoeness as president in December as part of a changing of the guard at Bayern. Legendary Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn is due to step in as chief executive in 2022 after being hand-picked to replace Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. The former Germany goalkeeper will first serve a 12-month apprenticeship on the supervisory board and Hainer affirmed his confidence in a smooth handover. "Rummenigge and Kahn are two intelligent people who can assess this situation well and want the best for Bayern," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in November?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barret, cases, deaths, updates today
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Early voting in NYC: dates, how to vote and where to find locations near me
- GAMING NEWS Pokémon GO A Spooky Message Unmasked: all research tasks and rewards from Halloween event
- BRAZIL Ronaldinho tests positive for coronavirus
- Covid-19 Economic Crisis Unemployment benefits NY: why was New York denied an extra $300?