Wijnaldum included in Liverpool's 20-man Club World Cup squad
Liverpool have included Georginio Wijnaldum in their travelling party for this week's Club World Cup, but injured centre-back Dejan Lovren misses out.
Georginio Wijnaldum has been included in the Liverpool squad which will travel to the Club World Cup despite appearing to pick up a hamstring injury in Saturday's Premier League win over Watford. The midfielder's participation in Qatar became uncertain after he limped off in the 59th minute of the 2-0 victory at Anfield.
Liverpool confirmed Wijnaldum had suffered a muscle problem but the 29-year-old will still fly out on Sunday as part of a 20-man travelling party. Jürgen Klopp is without central defender Dejan Lovren, who has been left behind as he recovers from a hamstring injury which he sustained in the Champions League game against Salzburg. Young midfielder Harvey Elliott and striker Rhian Brewster have also been trimmed from the initial 23-man squad announced earlier this month.
Liverpool face Monterrey on Wednesday
Liverpool begin the tournament with a semi-final against Mexican side Monterrey in Doha on Wednesday (kick-off 18:30 hours CET). Captain and midfielder Jordan Henderson said the European champions had every intention of returning with the trophy. "We want to go there and win," he told his club's website after the victory over the Hornets. "Big games coming up, so we've got to recover well. There's a big game Wednesday and hopefully we can do a job to get into the final on the weekend."
Liverpool's Club World Cup squad:
Alisson, Andy Lonergan, Adrian; Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Andy Robertson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Neco Williams; Georginio Wijnaldum, James Milner, Naby Keita, Curtis Jones, Jordan Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana, Xherdan Shaqiri; Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mané, Mohamed Salah, Divock Origi.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGUE 1 | ROTHEN Mbappé attitude under scrutiny amid Pochettino comments
- PORTUGAL Pepe recalls landing in Portugal from Brazil: "Have you anything to eat? I don't have any money..."
- NBA Lakers cruise as Bucks, Celtics extend winning streaks
- NBA James Harden confident about Durant, Irving connection: "We're all unselfish"
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Koeman's Super Cup plans depend on Messi
- CORONAVIRUS What's the difference between the third stimulus check & Biden's rescue plan?