PSV: Van Bommel sacked as Eredivisie club's head coach
PSV Eindhoven's 3-1 weekend loss at Feyenoord saw head coach Mark van Bommel pay the price as he was sacked.
PSV Eindhoven have sacked head coach Mark van Bommel, with the club 10 points off the pace in the battle for the Eredivisie title.
The former Netherlands midfielder, who had two spells at the Philips Stadion as a player, was named boss at PSV in June 2018, replacing Phillip Cocu.
Van Bommel fired after PSV's weekend defeat to Feyenoord
PSV finished second in Van Bommel's maiden campaign in charge but have struggled in the Dutch top flight this term and a 3-1 loss at Feyenoord on Sunday proved the final straw.
"The decline is too large and unworthy of PSV," general manager Toon Gerbrands told the club's official website.
"The competitions are the measuring [sticks], but the process around them is also decisive. We monitor this intensively.
"PSV is a club where we try to help and support each other. That has also been the case in recent months.
"The club's interest has always been paramount. The evaluation ultimately resulted in this painful decision. We have all done everything to turn the tide. Unfortunately, we did not succeed."
Van Bommel had previously worked as an assistant under Bert van Marwijk with Saudi Arabia and Australia.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment Golden Globes 2021: hosts, presenters and special guests
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus Check: is it necessary to live in the US to be eligible for payment?
- GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS Golden Globes 2021: times, TV and how and where to watch online
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? New $3000 child tax credit: live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: when will the proposal be voted on in the Senate?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: who voted in favour in the House of Representatives?