Clásico: Real Madrid's Varane left with stud-marked leg
A photo has emerged of Raphael Varane's leg after he was denied a penalty against Barcelona despite Clément Lenglet's studs-up tackle.
A photograph has emerged of Raphael Varane's leg bearing what appear to be heavy stud marks after the Real Madrid defender was denied a penalty for a challenge by Clément Lenglet in Wednesday's Clásico draw with Barcelona.
Varane twice denied penalties in Clásico draw
The Spanish journalist José Luis Sánchez posted the image on Twitter following the 0-0 stalemate at the Camp Nou, in which the match officials opted against awarding a spot-kick for Lenglet's studs-up tackle on Varane in the 18th minute.
🚨 El muslo de VARANE tras el partido. Las secuelas de la entrada de Lenglet. NO fue penalti pic.twitter.com/Wbthmc0l3F— José Luis Sánchez 🇪🇸 (@JLSanchez78) December 18, 2019
Madrid penalty appeals were also waved away when the Frenchman seemed to be tugged back in the box by Ivan Rakitic shortly afterwards, leading former FIFA official Eduardo Iturralde González to tell the Spanish radio station Cadena SER: "Varane should have had two penalties in two minutes."
Ramos, Butragueño bemoan penalty decisions
Speaking post-match, Madrid captain Ramos told reporters it was "pretty clear that they're both penalties", while Los Blancos' director of institutional relations, Emilio Butragueño, said: "They're blatant penalties; it's very puzzling."
Lenglet: "It's not a penalty"
However, Lenglet was adamant that his tackle on Varane did not merit a spot-kick, declaring: "I happened to make contact with his leg, but it's not a penalty."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Meteor Shower Perseid meteor shower August 2020: how and when to watch
- Coronavirus Trump executive order: how much will it cost the US?
- Ohter Sports Forbes: Covid-19 is massively-affecting sports in South Africa
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool close in on a deal for 'the next Neymar’ Talles Magno
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Atalanta have a responsibility not to disappoint against PSG, says Gasperini