El Clásico: Real Madrid bemoan 'controversial' penalty incidents
After a stalemate was played out at the Camp Nou on Wednesday, Zidane's side were left feeling aggrieved with the officiating.
Real Madrid publicly highlighted the perceived injustice of multiple unsuccessful penalty shouts following their goalless Clásico draw against Barcelona on Wednesday.
Two Real Madrid penalty appeals turned down
Raphael Varane had two strong appeals turned down in the first half, the first for a high challenge from Barça defender Clement Lenglet at theCamp Nou.
Barça's Ivan Rakitic had grappled with the defender in the seconds before that incident and then tugged Varane's shirt when competing for a corner moments later in the LaLiga blockbuster showdown.
Referee Alejandro José Hernández Hernández let play continue and neither incident was checked using the VAR pitchside monitor.
Sergio Ramos bemoans clear penalties
Sergio Ramos described them as "pretty clear" penalties and Madrid called attention to the "two controversial moments" in a statement on their website.
It read: "The Frenchman could have had two penalties in the first half but Hernández Hernández did not give either of them.
"On minute 17, [Varane] went to head a corner before Lenglet stood on his thigh muscle in the area, but neither the referee nor VAR [where (Ricardo) de Burgos Bengoetxea was in charge] deemed it a penalty.
"Two minutes later and following another corner, the central defender had his shirt pulled by Ivan Rakitic, which saw him end up on the ground in the penalty area.
"However, once again, neither the referee or the VAR system decided to award the penalty."
Madrid winger Gareth Bale had a goal disallowed for an offside against Ferland Mendy after half-time as both sides failed to muster a winner.
The stalemate left them level on points in LaLiga, but Barca hold the advantage on goal difference.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Milan's emergency fundraiser reaches €500,000 goal
- Coronavirus | Africa Coronavirus: Eto'o, Drogba fuming at doctors' "racist" and "disgusting" proposal for Africa
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total Nigeria cases and deaths, real-time map, 3 April
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total USA cases and deaths, real-time map, 3 April
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: total UK cases and deaths, real-time map, 3 April
- REAL MADRID Racing president: "Lautaro turned down Madrid when he was 18"