Valverde didn't want De Jong at Barcelona: De Telegraaf
The Dutch newspaper has reported that the Barça manager was not interested in the signing of the young Ajax star that moved to LaLiga in the summer.
It was a sound signing. Frenkie de Jong was wanted by many of Europe's elite sides but it was Barcelona got the deal done. The Ajax youngster was, in fact, the Spanish champions' first big signing of the 2019/20 season, with an agreement in place for five seasons, up until 2024. The cost for the transfer amounted to 75 million euros, plus an extra 11 million in variables. It was all agreed in January, and a few months later, during which the player was on the verge of a Champions League final, De Jong joined the Barça ranks...under the orders of Ernesto Valverde.
De Jong not wanted by Valverde
The Dutch midfielder has adapated fairly well to life at the Camp Nou and has been receiving praise from many who watch the side each week. On Friday, however, it was being reported by De Telegraaf in his home country that Barcelona signed De Jong "against the will" of Valverde. This news comes just a week after Ajax dropped out of the Champions League, and the details of the story have not gone down well in the Netherlands.
The report states that it was De Jong who approached Barcelona.
"The midfielder fell in love with the famous name and status of FC Barcelona, and with their star man, Messi," claims the paper before criticising the way the manager uses the talented midfielder.
"He [Valverde] refuses to let De Jong deploy his strengths as a deep lying playmaker, a '6', or in that position from the left." They also say he is being forced to play “like he is on autopilot with the handbrake on” and that his role as a “dominant player” is not being seen.
Another point made by the news outlet is about the movements of both Thomas Tuchel and Pep Guardiola to try to convince the player to join PSG and Manchester City respectively. Tuchel invited De Jong to Paris while Guardiola brought him to Manchester, both seeing him as an important reinforcement, even speaking to the player about his role. It wasn't to be.
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Biden - Trump last debate live online: updates, fact check and reactions
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Covid-19 Financial Crisis How will the election affect unemployment benefits in US?
- US NEWS Who is Kristen Walker, moderator for the final presidential debate? | US Election 2020
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Trump - Biden debate: why will they be muted when the other is talking?
- PRESEDENTIAL DEBATE Last debate Trump vs Biden tonight: time, TV and how to watch live online