Forlán: Ex-Man Utd, Uruguay forward takes charge of Peñarol
Diego Forlán, 40, has taken his first steps into senior coaching thanks to former club Peñarol in Uruguay.
Uruguayan giants Peñarol have appointed former Manchester United forward Diego Forlán as their new head coach.
Forlán will replace Diego López as the 40-year-old takes his first steps into senior coaching at his former club in Montevideo.
Uruguay centurion Forlán retired from playing in August
Ex-Uruguay international Forlán, who amassed 112 caps, retired in August following spells at United, Villarreal, Atlético Madrid and Inter.
A Premier League winner at Old Trafford in 2003, Forlán started his youth career with Peñarol before returning to the club in 2015-16, celebrating Primera División success that season.
"To me this is a huge joy, it's such an honour to be the person selected to be the leader of this project, of this club very important for me and for my family," Forlán told reporters on Friday. "I'm very honoured and proud."
Global experience will help me in Peñarol job, says Forlán
Forlán, who also played for Brazilian giants Internacional, Japanese outfit Cerezo Osaka, India's Mumbai City and Hong Kong side Kitchee before retiring, added: "Having travelled all over the world taught me a lot.
"How every country lives football, how the prepare for the day to day, how the cultural side affects the working tactics on the different teams. Then it's 11v11 inside the field but there are some things you have to realise that won't be the same in Japan, here in Uruguay or in Spain.
"I've learned a lot from all of them. I've learned a lot from the Spanish football, from the Italian football, from the Brazilian football. For me, that's an advantage of having travelled all over the world and being able to learn it.
"To experience it and adding things because I don't have a crystal ball, and neither do the Spanish or the Japanese. I think a bit of everything is important to do something better."
Te recomendamos en English
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online & coronavirus: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks & latest news
- FOOTBALL Jorge Jesus was a better coach than José Mourinho - Julio César
- LIGUE 1 PSG: Mbappé's future is already mapped out and that's sad - Rami
- Manchester United It's down to me to show the real Anthony Martial - Man Utd forward aiming to rediscover form
- FOOTBALL Bayern: Coman wants another treble, but this time with fans
- JUVENTUS-BARCELONA Arthur-Pjanic swap deal isn't going to plan in Turin or Barcelona