Real Madrid vs Athletic: Zidane takes place on coaching podium
Zinedine Zidane will overtake Leo Beenhakker's total of games in charge of Real Madrid in Los Blancos' LaLiga clash with Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.
Zinedine Zidane will oversee his 184th game as Real Madrid boss in Sunday night's LaLiga clash with Athletic Bilbao, in the process overtaking Leo Beenhakker as the coach to have taken charge of the third-highest number of matches at the club.
Having leapfrogged José Mourinho (178) to move into fourth place in the 2-1 league victory over Deportivo Alavés at the end of November, Zidane then drew level with Beenhakker's haul of 183 matches in Los Blancos' 0-0 Clásico draw with Barcelona on Wednesday evening.
Del Bosque and Muñoz ahead of Zidane
Zidane is currently 63 off second place, occupied by Vicente del Bosque, who was at the helm for 246 games - while the coach at the top of the all-time standings, Miguel Muñoz, appears unlikely to be caught. During two spells totalling 14 years, Muñoz amassed 605 games in the Bernabéu dugout.
Zidane has highest win percentage as Real Madrid coach
Zidane may not lead the way in total games managed, but he is top of the pile when it comes to his win ratio as Madrid coach. In his two stints as boss, the Frenchman has so far won 66.7% of his games - a percentage that outstrips Del Bosque's 54% and Muñoz's 59%. Meanwhile, his haul of nine trophies makes him Madrid's second-most decorated coach, with Muñoz out in front with 14.
Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao live on AS English
Real Madrid take on Athletic at 21:00 CET at the Bernabéu, and you can follow live coverage of the week-18 LaLiga match with AS English.
Te recomendamos en English
- Opta stats Diabolical defending: Europe's top five leagues in 2019-20
- International UEFA suspends Champions League 'until further notice'
- LIVERPOOL Birthday Boy Brewster could be the answer for Klopp
- Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos needs 'importance' at Arsenal
- REAL MADRID | SAGNA Sagna: "I see Pogba closer to Juventus than Real Madrid because of Cristiano"