The woodwork has cost Real Madrid nine points this season
Kroos, Nacho, and Jovic’s woodwork strikes against Athletic make it 11 times that Madrid have struck the goal frame so far this season, which is only surpassed by Osasuna with 14.
Those who believe in superstition would certainly have viewed events in the game between Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao as a sign of paranormal activity.
No matter how much Zidane’s side tried they just could not find the net. And if it wasn’t Athletic keeper Unai Simon denying them, it was the woodwork. Three times Madrid rattled the sticks during their frustrated attempt at victory: first it was Kroos’ boot and then the heads of Nacho and Jovic.
Madrid threw the kitchen sink at it. They had 20 shots on goal, ten of which were on target. But now they find themselves two points behind Barcelona going into the Christmas break.
Kroos, Nacho, and Jovic’s strikes now make it 11 times that Madrid have hit the woodwork so far this season, which is only surpassed by Osasuna with 14. Meanwhile, Barcelona and Atlético have had less bad luck, with five shots and seven shots hitting the goal frame, respectively.
Madrid’s bad luck has cost them nine points
Had some of those attempts gone in for Madrid, they could be nine points up in the league. With a little more fortune, they could have secured two more points each against Valladolid (1-1), Villarreal (2-2), Barça (0-0) and Athletic (0-0), and one extra to draw at Mallorca (1 -0). Karim Benzema has been the most unfortunate, striking the posts on five occasions, followed by Jovic with two.
On the other hand, the posts have played little prominence in Courtois and Areola’s goal. Only on occasion has an opponent managed to strike the Madrid posts this season: Alavés in their 2-1 defeat to Los Blancos at home in November.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment Golden Globes 2021: hosts, presenters and special guests
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus Check: is it necessary to live in the US to be eligible for payment?
- GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS Golden Globes 2021: times, TV and how and where to watch online
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? New $3000 child tax credit: live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: when will the proposal be voted on in the Senate?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: who voted in favour in the House of Representatives?