United turn tables on Newcastle to move up to seventh
Anthony Martial was on target twice as Manchester United bounced back in style after going behind against Newcastle United at Old Trafford.
Anthony Martial scored twice as Manchester United hit back in emphatic fashion from a rocky start against Newcastle United to open their Christmas programme with a 4-1 victory at Old Trafford on Thursday.
United respond with three goals in 45 minutes
Teenager Matty Longstaff had given Newcastle a surprise 17th-minute lead - reviving memories of his winner against United in the reverse fixture at St James' Park this season. But the hosts struck three times before half-time. Anthony Martial's shot crept in at the near post six minutes later to calm the Old Trafford jitters and youngster Mason Greenwood thumped home a second before Marcus Rashford's header put the hosts in control.
Martial.— Manchester United (@ManUtd) December 26, 2019
🎩✨ Magic. pic.twitter.com/EZ3llm08Hp
Pogba comes on as second half sub
Newcastle hardly helped themselves with some dreadful defending and they gifted Martial a second goal in the 51st minute to make the result a formality. United could have scored more with Paul Pogba making an appearance off the bench and almost adding a fifth. It was the perfect response to last weekend's 2-0 defeat by Watford for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side who are in seventh spot with 28 points, four behind fourth-placed Chelsea. Newcastle are 10th with 25 points.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check today: when to expect, Biden relief plan and IRS payment | Live updates
- NBA Kobe Bryant death anniversary: what tributes and memories have been shared?
- NBA Kobe Bryant death anniversary: what's known about the helicopter crash?
- REAL MADRID Sales and loan deals see Madrid generate €102M for Mbappé
- FOOTBALL 'Daniel Agger' arrested in Moscow protests
- SERIE A Ibrahimovic close to goals milestone ahead of Milan derby