Frenkie De Jong: "The Premier League is superior to LaLiga"
Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong compared the Spanish and English leagues, and believes that the Premier League now has the edge.
Barcelona star Frenkie de Jong believes that the Premier League is now a stronger competition than Spain's LaLiga. De Jong is enjoying a fine start to life in the Spnaish top flight after swapping Eredivisie titleholders Ajax for Spanish champions Barça over the summer. The 22-year-old was linked to Premier League champions Manchester City prior to his €75million transfer to Camp Nou.
Premier League has overtaken LaLiga - De Jong
Happy and settled at Barcelona, the midfielder compared the Premier League and LaLiga. "I used to think that LaLiga was the strongest football league in the world," De Jong told The Mirror. "You could see their dominance in European Cup competitions. The Spanish clubs always progressed a long way and often grabbed the main trophies, the Champions League and Europa League. But the Premier League has gained power over the last few years. When it comes to pure skills, LaLiga is better. But because of the sheer intensity, the English competition is at a slightly higher level."
Catalan derby on 4 January
De Jong has scored one goal and supplied two assists in 18 LaLiga appearances for leaders Barça this season. The Blaugranas are two points clear of bitter rivals Real Madrid heading into the New Year – Ernesto Valverde's side back in action away to Espanyol on 4 January.
Te recomendamos en English
- World News Chinese Rocket: when and where will it fall to earth?
- US News Fourth stimulus check: What are Biden's economic proposals according to the unemployment report?
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Sevilla: times, TV & how to watch online
- PREMIER LEAGUE Guardiola fumes at officials as City pay penalty against Chelsea
- BARCELONA 0-0 ATLÉTICO Piqué: "We're still alive, from now on, anything could happen"
- US NEWS Third stimulus checks: how many payments were made in the last batch?