Barcelona: Nélson Semedo, once first choice, now up for sale
Last summer he was keen to join Atlético Madrid but the club halted the operation. Now Barça would let him leave and eye Emerson as his replacement.
Nélson Semedo's cachet has fallen at Barça. Before the summer he was a first choice in the blaugrana back four - the club even refused to negotiate with Jorge Mendes when he turned up at the Camp Nou offices to inform Éric Abidal and Ramon Planes that he had an offer for the player from Atlético Madrid. The situation is very different now however. Semedo's start to this season has been disappointing. While he is still regarded as competent, he is no longer a first choice. On top of that, Barça have changed their philosophy - from having a purpose-driven strategy they are now open to selling players to raise cash. Now they would have no problem in offloading Semedo, who hasn't shown himself to be a better alnative to Sergi Roberto.
Barcelona studying Emerson capture
Barcelona had considered offering the defender an improved contract following last summer's interest from Atlético Madrid but now they will listen to serious offers for the player when the first transfer window of next season opens in July. They won't be letting him leave on the cheap. Barça have been pleased with how Emerson has been getting on in his loan at Betis and could bring him back a year early even if it means having to pay the Verdiblancos compensation. Barça paid 12 million euros for Emerson at the start of the year and would need to pay Betis six to release the player from his loan agreement. According to Betis president Ángel Haro, Emerson's loan contract will run until June 2021. The two clubs enjoy a good relationship and whatever happens, they will reach some kind of solution. One option would be to sell Semedo and use the profits to bring Emerson back early. In the meantime, Barcelona continue their search for a top class right-back as Emerson, an owner of a Brazilian passport, still doesn't have a EU status.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?