Real Madrid: Zidane, club agree not to make January signings
Club and coach are in agreement that there'll be no mid-season reinforcements to the first-team squad, although two players will go out on loan.
The transfer window won't be taking priority at Real Madrid this January.
With a potential eight LaLiga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Super Cup fixtures to play over the next four weeks, it'll be a month that has a defining impact on Madrid's season - so the focus will be firmly on on-field matters.
No signings expected, but Brahim and Mariano set to go out on loan
AS therefore understands that, barring an unexpected change of tack, the plan agreed upon by the club and their head coach, Zinedine Zidane, is not to attempt any first-team signings. Two players who will be on the move, though, are Mariano Díaz and Brahim Díaz, with Madrid preparing to offload both on loan.
The situation right now is not dissimilar to the summer. As this newspaper revealed in late December, the only player Zidane would be interested in adding to his squad is Paul Pogba, but the coach is all too aware that the club do not share his eagerness to spend big on the Manchester United midfielder, particularly in the wake of Federico Valverde's emergence. And even if a Pogba deal were to happen, it would be in the close-season.
Pérez, Zidane not big on mid-season signings
What's more, club president Florentino Pérez does not have much of a track record of turning to the market in January: in his two spells as Madrid chief, he has spent just 48.8 million euros, buying only Brahim in the last three mid-season windows.
Zidane is not a big believer in January signings, either. He has faith in his squad, a message he has been at pains to retiterate in almost every press conference he gives, and has not asked for any reinforcements for the second half of the season.
Getafe LaLiga test up first for Real Madrid in January
Madrid, who sit second in LaLiga, two points behind leaders Barcelona, return from the winter break with a Spanish top-flight clash at Getafe this Saturday (16:00 CET).
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barçagate live updates | Former FC Barcelona president Bartomeu detained
- BARCELONA Former Barça president Bartomeu arrested after club offices raided
- BARCELONA Barçagate: Which Barcelona players were affected by the I3 Ventures social media posts?
- NBA NBA: Giannis emulates Abdul-Jabbar in Bucks victory, LeBron in milestone game as Lakers win
- GOLDEN GLOBES Golden Globes 2021: full list of winners
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | Will it arrive in March & IRS tax return | Live