Bayern Munich's Neuer: "Nubel's arrival won't affect my new contract"
Alexander Nubel joining Bayern Munich will have no impact on whether or not first team keeper Manuel Neuer signs a new deal with the Bundesliga giants.
Manuel Neuer is looking forward to Alexander Nübel's impending arrival at Bayern Munich, but insists that having competition from another goalkeeper will have no impact on his plans to renew his contract. Nübel is set to follow in Neuer's footsteps at the end of the season, with Bayern having confirmed they have reached an agreement to sign the current Schalke goalkeeper on a free transfer.
The 23-year-old has long been touted as Neuer's possible replacement for both club and country, though Bayern's captain is happy to welcome Nübel to Munich. Neuer's deal expires in 2021, with the 33-year-old reportedly in talks over a new contract - negotiations he is adamant will be unaffected by Nübel's arrival.
"I've still got a lot to give" says Neuer
"The Nübel transfer is irrelevant for my contract extension," Neuer told reporters at Bayern's mid-season training camp in Qatar. "Of course I determine the requirements [of the contract]. I have the thoughts in my head, but of course I will not reveal them. Nothing comes out of me. It's a forward-thinking decision made by the club. Nübel is a top quality goalkeeper. These factors are very important. It is therefore very important for me how the path with [coach] Hansi Flick continues. I have things I want to achieve with the team, and it's a lot of fun working together with Hansi. Together with the team, we can achieve anything. The club has always shown me appreciation. So far, we have not extended the contract, although I have no pressure in terms of time to sort it out."
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA LeBron James back in practice as Lakers superstar eyes return
- NFL Packers star Adams suggests future linked to Rodgers stay
- NBA Russell Westbrook makes NBA history after breaking Robertson's record
- NBA NBA: Curry's Warriors beat Jazz, Westbrook makes history
- Westbrook celebrates triple-double record: Tonight, I'll pat myself on the back
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Golden State Stimulus: How to claim the extra $500 under the California Comeback Plan