Luis Enrique considers Spain call-up for Valencia's Gabriel Paulista
Gabriel Paulista could soon become eligible for Spain selection and Luis Enrique is keeping an eye on the Valencia centre-back.
Spain boss Luis Enrique will consider Valencia defender Gabriel Paulista for selection if he becomes available to the national team.
Valencia defender eyeing Spain call-up once eligibility confirmed
Brazilian-born centre-back Gabriel is in the process of gaining Spanish nationality and last year expressed an interest in representing Spain once he is eligible.
Speaking to Movistar+, Luis Enrique confirmed it was a situation he was monitoring.
"I am aware of every player who could be called up," he said. "Paulista is going through a process that could make him eligible."
Gabriel would be following in the footsteps of Brazil-born Diego Costa
Should Gabriel make the cut for Euro 2020, it would evoke memories of Diego Costa making a switch to play for Spain as opposed to his native Brazil ahead of the 2014 World Cup.
Costa struggled as the defending champions were dumped out in the group stage and, although he eventually improved to 10 goals from 26 caps, the Atlético Madrid striker has not featured at international level since the penalty shoot-out defeat to hosts Russia at the 2018 World Cup.
Spain will face Sweden, Poland and a play-off qualifier in Group E at Euro 2020.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side