Villarreal tell Lyon to up their offer if they want striker Ekambi
Villarreal are unwilling to let Karl Toko Ekambi join Lyon at the French club's current valuation, citing his big-money release clause.
Villarreal have told French giants Lyon it will take a major offer to prise Karl Toko Ekambi away from El Madrigal this month.
With Memphis Depay injured and seemingly out for the rest of the Ligue 1 season, Lyon are seeking a replacement to strengthen their attacking options.
Villarreal turn down 12m-euro Ekambi offer
Ekambi, who previously played in France with Paris FC, Sochaux and Angers, has caught Lyon's attention and an initial 12m euro offer has been turned down.
That led Villarreal boss Javi Calleja to say on Thursday that any club wanting the striker must consider his release clause, which is said to be over 60m.
"There's real interest [in Ekambi], but he has a release clause and that must be met," Calleja said.
Ekambi, 27, is a Cameroon international and joined Villarreal from Angers in 2018.
He was Villarreal's leading scorer in LaLiga last season and has netted six goals in 18 league appearances this term.
Lyon struggling in mid-table in Ligue 1
Lyon are toiling in 12th place in Ligue 1 at the midway point of the season, seven points adrift of the top three.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side