Al Sadd director admits ongoing Xavi and Barcelona talks
The sporting director of the Qatar club, Muhammad Ghulam Al Balushi, says he wished Xavi the best wherever he decides to go as negotiations continue with Barcelona.
It's one step closer to Barcelona for Xavi as the club's sporting director, Muhammad Ghulam Al Balushi, director deportivo del Al Sadd, confirmed on television station, AlKass, that there has been contact and negotiations between Xavi and his former club.
"There are negotiations between Xavi and Barcelona now and we wish him well wherever he wants to go," he said ahead of the club's Qatar Cup semifinal between Al Sadd and Al Rayyan.
The statement from the director confirms the clubs comment on their current manager when news of Barcelona interested first surfaced. The general manager, Turki Al Ali, has asked that the LaLiga side negotiate officially with Al Sadd.
The possibility that Xavi takes charge of Barcelona and starts next week are gathering pace. Eric Abidal, the club's sporting director, and Oscar Grau, the CEO, went to Doha on Saturday to meet with Xavi in an effort to convince him to come and take over the club.
Ernesto Valverde's stock fell to an all-time low after defeat to Atlético Madrid during the week in the Spanish Super Cup semi-final despite leading 2-1 in the second half. The collapses against Roma and Liverpool continue to haunt the manager as their away form remains abysmal. This year was believed to be Valverde's class regardless of what happened but the loss to Atlético seems to have expediated the process of removing the manager.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side