Agüero moves top of Premier League's overseas scorers
Manchester City's rout of Aston Villa allowed Sergio Aguero to climb above Thierry Henry in the Premier League record books.
Sergio Agüero is the top-scoring overseas player in Premier League history after he netted three times during Manchester City's match at Aston Villa on Sunday.
Hat-trick hero Agüero
The Argentina striker rifled in a blistering strike from 20 yards to give Pep Guardiola's side a 3-0 lead inside half an hour at Villa Park, before collecting a pass from David Silva and placing home his second after the break. He then completed his hat-trick with ten minutes remaining.
It moved Agüero on to 177 goals in England's top flight, surpassing the mark of 175 established by Arsenal and France great Thierry Henry. City star Agüero, 31, is now joint fourth overall on the Premier League's all-time list, equal with Frank Lampard (177), and behind only Andy Cole (187), Wayne Rooney (208) and Alan Shearer (260).
12 - Sergio Agüero has scored more hat-tricks than any other player in Premier League history (12), overtaking Alan Shearer. Match-ball. pic.twitter.com/V6Ti53cJkz— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 12, 2020
He stands alone now as the player with more Premier League hat-tricks than anyone else. Of course, English top-flight football has been in existence for much longer than just since 1992 and he still has some way to go to catch the overall record holder Dixie Dean. Playing for Tranmere Rovers and Everton, the Englishman scored 37 trebles between 1923 and 1937.
Agüero, who joined City from Atletico Madrid for £38million in July 2011, is his club's record goalscorer with 249 in all competitions.
Te recomendamos en English
- Opta stats Diabolical defending: Europe's top five leagues in 2019-20
- International UEFA suspends Champions League 'until further notice'
- LIVERPOOL Birthday Boy Brewster could be the answer for Klopp
- Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos needs 'importance' at Arsenal
- REAL MADRID | SAGNA Sagna: "I see Pogba closer to Juventus than Real Madrid because of Cristiano"