Messi or Agüero: Guardiola clarifies comparison after hat-trick
Following Manchester City's drubbing of Aston Villa, the former Barça coach was asked about two of his most prolific goalscorers.
After a thumping 1-6 win at struggling Aston Villa, Pep Guardiola was asked whether Kun Agüero - who had just scored his 12th Premier League hat-trick - was the best striker he'd managed. It turns out he isn't.
'Messi is the best'
Another Premier League victory under the belt for Manchester City, one that moved them into second place in the table, and aided their goal difference to the tune of plus five. Two goals from Mahrez, one from Gabriel Jesús and three from Agüero saw off the challenge of the relagation-threatened side.
And in the post-match press conference, Guardiola was asked if the record-breaking hat-trick man was the best striker he'd ever managed.
"The best is Messi," came the simple response.
18' @Mahrez22— Manchester City (@ManCity) January 12, 2020
All the best bits from our victory at Villa Park...
🔵 #ManCity #AVLMCI pic.twitter.com/WwVq5I6fVg
The journalist wanted to clarify his question, asking whether the Man City forward was the best 'out and out 'number 9'. That didn't change the answer.
"Messi is number 9, number 10, number 11, number 7, number 6, number 5, number 4...
"But Sergio [Agüero], [out of] the rest, is absolutely one of them."
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA commits to 12 host cities for delayed Euro 2020
- COPA DEL REY Rayo Vallecano 1-2 Barcelona: result, summary and goals
- INTER MILAN Conte glad as Lukaku shows anger after Ibrahimovic outburst
- Football AFC draw sets up impressive clashes
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Third stimulus check: what will the minimum age be to claim payment?
- UNITED STATES Third stimulus check: when is it expected to be approved?