Valverde takes Barça training on Monday with no word on future
The manager arrived almost two hours before training with rumours swirling about his future and the club posted photos of the session on social media.
Ernesto Valverde took Barcelona's training session on Monday morning as normal despite the noise coming out of the club that he is set to be replaced. After losing to Altético Madrid midweek, Barcelona executives met with Xavi, to sound him out over the role. Since then Mauricio Pochettino and Ronald Koeman have been touted as potential successors.
At Sant Joan Despí, however, Valverde continued as normal with the club posting photos of the training session on their social media accounts. Reports suggest a meeting with Bartomeu is scheduled but it hadn't taken place before the players took to the field on Monday morning.
Arthur took part in some of the session and Ter Stegen was present too, partaking in some drills. Todibo did not, however, with permission from the club as a move to Schalke nears. They were visited by club legend, Andres Iniesta, who is on holidays until February with Japan's J1 league in their offseason. Iniesta has called for the manager to be respected and says the situation has gotten 'ugly'.
The under-fire coach arrived at 08:15 in the morning to take the session and hoped to hear something on his future. A meeting is set to take place on Monday afternoon with the directors that could lead to developments in the story.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side