Real Madrid: Valverde suspended for one game for decisive Super Cup foul
The Madrid midfielder was handed a one-game ban for his crucial professional foul on Álvaro Morata in the Spanish Super Cup final against Atlético.
Real Madrid midfielder Federico Valverde has been handed a one-game suspension for his professional foul on Álvaro Morata which proved so crucial in winning the Spanish Super Cup over Atlético Madrid last Sunday.
Vaverde's professional foul
The Uruguay international, 21, chased down Morata as the striker raced towards goal late in extra time in the final of the revamped competition in Saudi Arabia and executed a two-footed lunge on him to halt the play. The game finished goalless but Real comfortably won the penalty shootout 4-1 to lift the trophy and Atlético coach Diego Simeone described Valverde's moment of sacrifice as 'the most important moment of the match'.
The referee's report said Valverde had been shown a straight red card for denying a clear goalscoring chance but a statement from the Spanish Football Federation said he would only serve a one-game ban for the infraction. Valverde, who has been one of Real's best players this season in their title race with Barcelona, will miss Saturday's match at home to third-placed Sevilla. He will return for the trip to Real Valladolid the following week and is free to face Atlético again in a derby in La Liga in February.
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Will unemployment benefits be extended after May unemployment rates?
- NBA PLAYOFFS Clippers' Chris Paul allowed back for Game 3 after covid issue
- US NEWS What's the Blue Alert? why was it activated in Florida?
- BOXING Who is fighting in Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder undercard?
- US NEWS $500 tax rebates: which New Jersey residents will receive the money?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check: Why is another payment not included in the bipartisan infrastructure bill?