UEFA 'team of the year' includes Messi but zero Madrid players
Liverpool dominate the eleven player's as voted for by UEFA.com online users. Cristiano features but no Kylian Mbappé.
Real Madrid pay the price for their poor season following their Round of 16 elimination in the 2018-19 Champions League campaign with zero players from the Santiago Bernabeu outfit selected in the 'team of the year'.
The complete XI features: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, De Ligt, Van dijk, Robertson; De Bruyne, De Jong; Messi, Cristiano, Lewandowski and Mané. There is no place in the line-up for the likes of Salah, Mbappé, Hazard or Firmino.
2 million votes
Over 2 million online users cast their vote in the survey on the basis of their performances from January to December 2019 with performances in UEFA competitions carried a greater weight in the evaluation.
The 2019 XI saw seven players make their debut in the team, with six hailing from from English Premier League clubs, including five from 2018/19 UEFA Champions League winners Liverpool FC. This includes UEFA Men’s Player of the Year Virgil van Dijk, who won the UEFA Champions League with his club and also reached the final of the UEFA Nations League with the Netherlands.
Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo was included for a record 14th time after helping Portugal to win the inaugural edition of the UEFA Nations League.
Te recomendamos en English
- INTER MILAN Ex-Man Utd captain Ashley Young provides lovely assist in Inter debut
- Football Olympic qualifiers moved from China to Sydney due to virus fears
- LaLiga Real Madrid go top after hard fought win in Valladolid
- VALLADOLID 0-1 REAL MADRID Real Madrid player ratings vs Real Valladolid: LaLiga Santander
- Tragedy Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- Transfer market PSG join Aubameyang chase amid Barcelona links