Conte realistic about Inter Milan's chances of signing Christian Eriksen: "We have no money"
Inter Milan are keen to strengthen the squad in the January window, but the Serie A title contenders start out with a transfer budget of zero...
Antonio Conte has admitted that funds for new signings at Inter Milan are so low that the club will need to do some intelligent wheeling and dealing if they are to boldster the squad this month. Inter are currently second in the Serie A table and involved in a three-way fight for the Scudetto with Juventus and Lazio.
Inter have "no money to sign anyone" in the January window
This month presents a chance to strengthen as the Nerazzurri chase their first league title since 2010, but Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta has made it clear to Conte he will have to play the market smartly. "There is no money," Conte said. "Therefore we will have to do well to find good-value situations."
Inter targets: Eriksen and Giroud
Inter are one of the clubs interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen and they reportedly want striker Olivier Giroud to join them from Chelsea. A deal for Manchester United's Ashley Young looked likely at one stage, but Inter's interest is said to be waning.
Any major arrivals will mean departures are necessary, and the possible sale of Gabriel Barbosa to Flamengo, after his successful loan to the Brazilian club, would see a welcome influx of spending money for Conte. Inter spent heavily last summer, particularly with the big-money arrival of Romelu Lukaku, whose transfer fee could eventually rise to €80million.
Conte has told Inter what he would like to achieve in the window, with it now a question of what can be agreed. "I gave some ideas," said Conte, quoted in Gazzetta dello Sport. "You have to achieve the goals with intelligence and wit. We're going to have to give careful consideration also to the situation with departures."
Te recomendamos en English
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online & coronavirus: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks & latest news
- FOOTBALL Jorge Jesus was a better coach than José Mourinho - Julio César
- LIGUE 1 PSG: Mbappé's future is already mapped out and that's sad - Rami
- Manchester United It's down to me to show the real Anthony Martial - Man Utd forward aiming to rediscover form
- FOOTBALL Bayern: Coman wants another treble, but this time with fans
- JUVENTUS-BARCELONA Arthur-Pjanic swap deal isn't going to plan in Turin or Barcelona