Xavi: I turned down Barcelona job because it came too soon
Xavi Hernández has explained his decision to reject Barcelona's offer to replace Ernesto Valverde as their head coach.
Barcelona midfield legend Xavi Hernández has said he turned down the chance to replace Ernesto Valverde as Blaugrana boss because the opportunity came "too soon" in his coaching career.
"Still my dream to coach Barcelona one day"
"It's true that I received an offer from Barcelona," the Al Sadd head coach, 39, told his pre-match press conference ahead of Friday's Qatar Cup final against Al Duhail.
"[Barça directors] Éric Abidal and Óscar Grau made the offer, but I didn't accept it because I felt it was too soon for me to coach Barcelona. That doesn't mean it's not still my dream to coach Barcelona one day."
Xavi praises new Barcelona boss Setién
Asked about Quique Setién, who was announced as Barça's new coach on Monday, Xavi said: "I'm really pleased to see Setién in charge of Barcelona. I really like the way he works and I wish him all the success in the world."
Te recomendamos en English
- Juventus director Paratici under investigation over Suarez's Italian exam
- SERIE A Official: Napoli stadium renamed Stadio Diego Armando Maradona
- REAL MADRID Camavinga a step closer to Real Madrid
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid squad for Sevilla: Sergio Ramos left behind
- FOOTBALL Tagliafico signs new Ajax contract which includes get-out clause
- Atlético Madrid Luis Suárez set to train after negative covid-19 test