Real Madrid: Marcelo's new role
Despite being understudy to Ferland Mendy at the Spanish Super Cup, Marcelo celebrated Real Madrid's trophy win with unhindered enthusiasm.
Real Madrid left-back Marcelo is no longer a sure-fire pick for head coach Zinedine Zidane. With half of the season now gone, summer signing Ferland Mendy has played considerably more minutes: 1,222 to 825.
Mendy starts both Super Cup games ahead of Marcelo
Marcelo's new role at Madrid was in evidence at the recent Spanish Super Cup in Saudi Arabia, where Mendy started both of Los Blancos' games and the Brazilian had to settle for a 19-minute substitute appearance in the semi-final against Valencia, at a point when the match was already won.
Despite that, Marcelo celebrated his 21st winners' medal at the LaLiga club with unbridled enthusiasm, rejoicing particularly passionately alongside his four compatriots, Casemiro, Vinicius Júnior, Éder Militão and Rodrygo Goes.
The relationship between Real Madrid's five Brazilians is extremely strong, with the two longer-serving squad members, Marcelo and Casemiro, playing a crucial role in helping the three more recent recruits settle in at the Bernabéu.
Marcelo happy again after struggles under Solari
Marcelo endured one of his lowest ebbs as a Madrid player last season, when then-coach Santiago Solari relegated him to the bench and installed Sergio Reguilón as his preferred left-back, leaving the 31-year-old's future at the club in doubt.
Zidane's return has put a smile on Marcelo's face once more and, even if he is not a certain starter, he is a key element of the Frenchman's squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Spain could draw Brazil or Argentina at Tokyo Olympics
- REAL MADRID Hazard, Asensio, Vinicius: Zidane faces selection headache as Belgian nears return
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leipzig star Konaté responds to Liverpool rumours
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: how are negotiations going and when will it be discussed in the Senate?
- TAX SEASON 2021 IRS tax refunds on $10,200 in unemployment benefits: when it's coming?
- US News: Coronavirus What are the maximum unemployment benefits per state?