Neymar has become the leader PSG hoped for - says Tuchel
Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel is pleased with Neymar's leadership qualities but wants his star player to maintain his performance levels.
Neymar has developed into the leader that Paris Saint-Germain hoped he would be this season, says coach Thomas Tuchel, who now hopes the Brazilian will keep up his sensational form. After recovering from a groin injury earlier in the season, Neymar has been in imperious form in recent weeks and is on 11 goals and five assists from 12 Ligue 1 appearances.
The 27-year-old, who was keen to rejoin Barcelona last summer but ultimately stayed in Paris - has suffered serious injuries in both of his previous seasons at PSG, and Tuchel now wants to see him maintain his current performance levels.
Neymar could set a new club record against Lorient on Sunday
"There are a lot of words to describe Neymar," Tuchel told a news conference when asked about the player, who has the chance to set a new club record if he scores against Lorient in the Coupe de France tomorrow. "But the best way of describing him is to watch the games. He is very decisive for us, he closes spaces, he defends. He is the leader we hoped for and it's a really good time for him. The challenge is to keep going, to employ the same effort, the way of working and the mindset. It is good but it is just the beginning. It is only January."
While singling out Neymar for particular praise, Tuchel also reiterated the importance of the rest of PSG's team following the Brazil international's example. "I am convinced that football is based on team effort," he continued. "We attack together and we defend together and if we do that, we are a dangerous team. If not, we are an average team and you cannot win any big thing as an average team."
Te recomendamos en English
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Khabib reveals Ronaldo's biggest fear for Cristiano Jr.
- NEW MOVIE RELEASES Space Jam 2: release date, trailer, images, cast, plot
- 2021 TAX FILING Tax Return: can I get interest if my refund comes late?
- Coronavirus Blood type might affect covid-19 infection: how and what types?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks $1,400 third stimulus check: how many people will lose out under new income limit?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS What is a Head of Household and how does it affect the size of stimulus checks?