Van Dijk and Salah send Liverpool 16 points clear at the top
Liverpool dominated much of this afternoon's game against Manchester United but wasted a handful of chances. Klopp's side have won 21 of their 22 games.
Liverpool moved 16 points clear at the top of the Premier League after a 14th-minute Virgil van Dijk header and a stoppage-time strike from Mohamed Salah gave them a 2-0 win over Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday.
Jürgen Klopp's side, chasing their first league title in 30 years, also have a game in hand on second-placed Manchester City with the title race appearing more of a procession than a contest.
Van Dijk nods in the opener
After a promising start from the visitors, Van Dijk was poorly marked by United's defence as he rose to head in a Trent Alexander-Arnold corner. Salah missed a glorious chance from close range just after the interval during an intense period of pressure from the home side, in which Jordan Henderson also struck the post with a shot that had De Gea beaten.
Our 1⃣5⃣0⃣th win in all comps under the boss 🙌🔴 pic.twitter.com/NkCAl06FaP— Liverpool FC (@LFC) January 19, 2020
Salah catches United on the break
United survived that blitz and clawed their way back into the game and could even have snatched an equaliser but Anthony Martial blasted high and wide in the 59th minute. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side applied some late pressure but were caught on the counter-attack in the final moments with Salah racing upfield before slotting home past De Gea.
The result leaves Liverpool on 64 points with a game in hand to play against West Ham a week on Wednesday. Klopp's team have only dropped two points during the whole campaign so far - curiously, against today's rivals when the side met at Old Trafford back in October.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: why is Arizona receiving praise from the White House?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV...
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City vs Real Madrid: Champions League preview
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane