Guti takes Almería to the top of the Spanish Segunda
A hard fought 1-2 win on Sunday away to Extremadura combined with Cádiz's defeat to Deportivo was enough for Almería to take top place in the second tier.
Spanish second-tier side Almería announced José María Gutiérrez, Guti's arrival in November 2019 following the decision to part company with previous head coach Pedro Emanuel.
The position was Guti's first senior coaching role, having previously coached in Madrid's youth set-up and served as an assistant at Turkish giants Besiktas.
After less than three months in charge at the Andalusian side, Guti has taken the side to the top of the second division table with a late goal in Almendralejo giving the "Rojiblancos" a 1-2 win over Extremadura. The result, combined with Cádiz's slip-up away to Deportivo was enough for Almería to sit on top of the segunda table after 24 rounds of games.
The top two sides automatically are promoted to LaLiga with teams placed from third to sixth forced to go through a play-off series.
During the Summer of 2019, Saudi Arabian Turki Al-Sheikh took over at the club purchasing the entity for a reported fee of 20 million euros.
Te recomendamos en English
- European championship Zlatan Ibrahimovic back in Sweden team for World Cup qualifiers
- NBA Jazz stars Mitchell and Gobert fined by NBA after outbursts
- REAL MADRID | BENZEMA Benzema: "My life has changed..."
- NFL Eagles' Jason Kelce holds off retirement to return for 2021 season
- NBA All-Star Game Jazz's Conley earns NBA All-Star selection to replace Booker
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, Senate votation, status and IRS tax