Hazard, Griezmann and João Félix head up record 2019 transfer spend
João Félix's move to Atletico Madrid was the biggest of 2019, as clubs spent a record €6.63 billion on transfers across the year.
The amount spend on transfers in 2019 set a new record, governing body FIFA has revealed, with deals for Eden Hazard, Antoine Griezmann and João Félix topping the bill.
A report issued by world football's governing body on Wednesday revealed €6.63 billion (£5.6 billion) was spent by clubs in the transfer market in 2019, an increase of 5.8 per cent on the previous year.
English clubs lead transfer splurge
The study also confirmed that English clubs spent the most, though the total figure of €1.37 billion (£1.14 billion) was a 22.1 per cent decrease from 2018.
João Félix's €126million transfer from Benfica to Atlético Madrid – who sold Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona for €120m – was the biggest deal of 2019, while Hazard left Chelsea for Real Madrid in a deal reportedly worth €100m.
22 - João Félix was the second youngest player to have 20+ goal involvements in the top five European leagues + Liga NOS in 2018/19 (15 goals, 7 assists), after Jadon Sancho (26 - 12 &14). Diamond. pic.twitter.com/Ub0WILSq5J— OptaJose (@OptaJose) July 3, 2019
Harry Maguire became the world's most expensive defender with a reported £80m switch from Leicester City to Manchester United, while Ajax sold young stars Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong to Juventus and Barcelona respectively for an initial €75m each.
There was also a rise of 16.3 per cent in spending in the women's game, with over 800 transfers made in total.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona boss Koeman responds to Real Madrid penalty controversy
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE Juventus could be kicked out of Serie A over Super League move
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid enquire about Spurs' defender Serge Aurier
- NBA Anthony Davis posts 42-point game against the Phoenix Suns
- US NEWS Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: efficacy, safety, side effects from Pfizer, J&J, Moderna...
- US NEWS Where is my Golden State stimulus? How to check & track