Bale suffers ankle scare on Real Madrid return
Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale had to be substituted against Unionistas de Salamanca due to discomfort in his ankle.
Gareth Bale will be monitored after picking up a minor ankle twist on his impressive return to Real Madrid's starting XI in the Copa del Rey.
Bale scored the opener in a 3-1 Copa del Rey win over Unionistas de Salamanca but was unable to continue beyond the 53rd minute midweek.
Wales star Bale, who has battled injury and illness this season, was making his first appearance since the LaLiga victory against Getafe on January 4.
Zidane: I don't think Bale's injury is much
"He's twisted his ankle a bit," Zidane said. "I don't think it's much but, as always, we'll see tomorrow. He couldn't go on."
Bale's forced withdrawal appeared to unsettle Madrid, who conceded a stunning equaliser four minutes later as Alvaro Romero surged forward and fired past goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.
Juan Gongora's own goal after the hour and a late Brahim Diaz strike saved Zidane's men from an upset and extended their winning streak to five games in all competitions.
The Los Blancos boss insisted he was satisfied despite flirting with a premature exit against the third-tier minnows.
"It was a tough night at a tough place to come and play," he said.
"We struggled with moving the ball and we didn't see much great football, but that was down to the pitch, not more than that.
"We're pleased because in the end we're going through to the last-16 and that's what we came to achieve."
Madrid - level on points with leaders and defending champions Barcelona - visit Real Valladolid in LaLiga on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG Real Madrid watch as tensions grow between Mbappé and PSG
- EURO 2020 Cristiano Ronaldo becomes European Championship's record goalscorer
- NBA Who are the highest paid NBA players in 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: what organizations are in favor of a new payment?
- US News Unemployment benefits: can you keep the payments if you go back to work?
- US News Which states have abolished federal unemployment benefits and why?