Coutinho: Bayern Munich's choice may give Barcelona a problem
According to reports in Germany, the Bundesliga giants will not exercise their option to sign the Brazilian, meaning he will return to Camp Nou in the summer.
On Wednesday German paper Bild reported that Bayern Munich will not exercise the purchase option they have for Philippe Coutinho this summer. If this transpires then the Brazilian will return to Barcelona and the Catalan club will have further decisions to make on one of their costliest ever disappointments.
Coutinho could return to limbo
The midfielder didn't light up the Camp Nou as fans had hoped following his big-money move from Liverpool in 2018. After struggling to fit in to the team he was loaned out to the Bavarian club for 8.5 million euros (as well as his salary) with a purchase option of 120 million euros available.
After half a season, the directors of the Bundesliga giants have decided that they will not make such a huge investment. Instead they could opt for another of his peers, Ivan Perisic, who is in a similar situation to the Brazilian. In August, Inter Milan put a buy-option for the Croatian at 20 million euros. A much more palatable choice given the performances from both players since their moves.
Coutinho: Barcelona's dilemma
Bayern's Coutinho rejection means that the almost forgotten man would have to brought sharply back into focus. He became the most expensive player in the history of Barcelona when they agreed to take him from The Reds for €120m plus €40m in variables. And since then both clubs have seen contrasting fortunes.
In the summer, the Brazilian will return to his parent club with his future still to be decided. No doubt work will be starting now in the Barcelona offices to determine whether or not he will have more opportunities under new manager Quique Setién or if they will look for a new exit strategy. His contract remains in force until 2023.
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?