Atlético unable to find a breakthorugh against Leganés
Atleti with six shots on target compared to Leganés' nine. The result means Simeone's team have drawn nine games so far this season. The team drops to 4th behind Sevilla.
Atlético Madrid missed the chance to close the gap on La Liga pacesetters Real Madrid and Barcelona on Sunday with a dismal goalless draw at home against 19th-placed strugglers Leganés.
Woeful week for Atlético
Atleti went into the game on the back of a chastening league defeat to Eibar and after being eliminated from the Copa del Rey by Third Division outfit Cultural Leonesa, but the home crowd still showed loud support for coach Diego Simeone at the start of Sunday's game.
They had little to cheer about as the match progressed, however, as their side struggled to create any real chances and had to rely on two impressive saves from goalkeeper Jan Oblak to prevent Leganés from taking the lead. The visitors looked more likely to break the deadlock in the second half too as a deflected shot from midfielder Recio narrowly fizzed over the bar while Atleti, who badly missed creative midfielder Koke, continued to lack inspiration.
Leganés keeper sent off
The Pepineros had to play the final minutes of the game with 10 men as goalkeeper Iván Cuéllar was sent off in added time for a second booking for time-wasting but Atlético never looked like taking advantage. The draw leaves Simeone's team fourth in the standings on 36 points, seven adrift of leaders Barcelona who lost 2-0 at Valencia on Saturday and also seven behind second-placed Real Madrid who play away to Real Valladolid later on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID James won't play for Real Madrid again and is looking for a new club
- Fred issues Man Utd Europa League warning
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League in Opta stats: Man City vs Real Madrid, Juventus vs Lyon
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: is a deal possible if not settled by Friday?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: what is the bonus for Social Security retirees?
- MANCHESTER CITY-REAL MADRID | ZIDANE "Gareth Bale preferred not to play" - Zidane