Fernandinho extends his stay at Manchester City
Manchester City have handed Fernandinho a one-year contract extension, meaning he will not leave the club at the end of the season.
Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.
The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.
An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.
He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.
And choosing to remain at the club for another season was a straightforward decision.
"It was easy," he told City's official website.
"There is a time in your life when you don't think just about yourself, but especially about your family and your kids. They were one of the reasons I decided to sign another contract.
"I am happy, my family is happy, so I hope the City fans are happy as well."
City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.
Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Bundesliga aims for May restart behind closed doors
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid agree to slash players' wage bill by €33-56m
- CORONAVIRUS Hydroxychloroquine: what is it and can it help fight Covid-19?
- Premier League Coronavirus: UEFA chief hands Liverpool Premier League title
- Premier League No Cristiano Ronaldo in the Ryan Giggs Man United XI
- Barcelona Bartomeu set to overhaul Barcelona board-room a year ahead of elections