Barcelona: Messi in Copa squad as Setién wheels out big guns
The Barcelona boss is in no mood to take Leganés lightly after defeat at Valencia and has named a strong squad for the last 16 clash.
Barcelona were fortunate to squeeze past Ibiza in the last round of the 2019-20 Copa del Rey as the holders’ defence almost hit the rocks on the Balearic island and Camp Nou boss Quique Setién, who is already under pressure after just a few games in charge, will not repeat his rotation policy against Leganés and has included all of his star players for the visit of the Cucumber Growers, including Leo Messi, Gerard Piqué and Sergio Busquets.
All three of Barça’s captains were left behind for that game, which required Antoine Griezmann’s double to see off a very capable challenge from Ibiza, but Setién’s squad for Leganés includes all available senior players and three youth teamers: forward Ansu Fati, keeper Iñaki Peña and attacking midfielder Álex Collado.
Moussa Wagué misses out due to technical reasons while Ousmane Dembélé is not yet ready for a first-team return after a hamstring injury and Neto and Luis Suárez are injured.
Albania international striker Rey Manaj, who Barça signed from Albacete earlier this month, also misses out as he finds his feet with Barça B, but the 22-year-old may become a more regular sight in the first team sphere if the Camp Nou board fails to find a forward before the transfer window closes on 31 January.
Barcelona squad for Leganés
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check live updates today: Biden executive order, when to expect and who will get it
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: will the congress accept a new payment before February?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: comparing Trump and Biden’s stimulus packages
- SERIE A How Inter and Milan are lining up to take Scudetto from Juventus
- REAL MADRID The Hazard enigma
- FOOTBALL Scolari leaves Cruzeiro after steering them to safety