Ferland Mendy flourishing under Zidane
The French player provided the assist for Benzema in the Madrid derby and has been an excellent replacement for Marcelo.
French international Ferland Mendy has quietly become a natural replacement for 31-year-old Brazilian Marcelo. 48 million euro was the required sum for Madrid to prize the defender away from Ligue 1's Olympique Lyon last summer and the 24-year-old has availed admirably of each chance that has come his way to impress, with his confidence levels growing game upon game.
His early season performances however, did started to generate a murmur among certain media quarters with poor distribution an early criticism aimed at the Frenchman. Fast forward to the present day and recent displays have gleaned glowing criticism from fans and media alike with former Madrid striker Mijatovic stating on the Carrusel deportivo last night radio show: "Mendy now looks exceptional when he makes forward runs and that is a credit to his work effort".
Euro 2020 calling for Mendy
Being a regular starter for Real Madrid is no guarantee that he will be a destined to start for "Les Bleus" next summer at Euro 2020 with stiff competition from the likes of Lucas Hernández, brother Theo, Digne and Benjamin Mendy. The defender has earned four caps for the French national side to date and his performances certain to have been picked up on by French national team coach Didier Deschamps. At present, if yesterday's ovation is anything to go by, it appears that Marcelo may have to play a waiting game should the French player maintain this level of form.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Jadon Sancho came very close to joining in 2017
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to allow five substitutions for rest of 2019/20
- George Floyd Autopsy reveals George Floyd was infected with Covid-19
- George Floyd What is K-pop and why are fans swarming social media over George Floyd protests?