Police stop car heading for crowd at Super Bowl parade
Kansas City Police say there are "no indications of terrorist activity" in an incident a few hours before the Chiefs parade started.
Two people have been arrested after police halted a car that ploughed through a barrier and was heading towards the crowd at the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade on Wednesday.
Kansas City Police (KCPD) revealed nobody was injured after officers stopped the vehicle just over three hours before the Chiefs are due to tour the city following their dramatic victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Miami on Sunday.
Plumes of smoke came out of the vehicle after police used a pursuit intervention technique to dramatically end the chase.
KCPD say there are no indications of terrorist activity.
Police not sure of driver's motive
"A vehicle broke through the parade barrier on the north side of the route at 8:12am. All officers on the route were immediately alerted," a KCPD statement said.
"Clay County Sheriff's Deputies assisting KPCD deployed Stop Sticks, which the vehicle struck.
"The vehicle proceeded south down the route to where it turned at Pershing and was headed for the crowd. Multiple police cars were prepared to block it. Officers then used tactical vehicle intervention, also known as PIT manoeuvre, to stop the suspect car on Pershing.
"Police took suspects into custody. No injuries have been reported.
"The driver is under investigation for impairment. A search of the vehicle revealed no weapons, and there were no indications of terrorist activity.
"Police do not know what the suspect's motive at this time. The parade route is once again secure."
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?