Arteta planning major clear-out at Arsenal before Euro 2020
The Arsenal manager is hoping to sign two midfielders and a central defender to strengthen the squad ahead of next season.
Mikel Arteta is hoping to steal a march of the rest of the clubs in the Premier League with his rebuilding plans for the new season. According to the UK media, the Arsenal manager is looking to sign two midfielders and a central defender. Arteta's technical team have already started sounding out the market as they hope to have their transfer deals finished before the start of Euro 2020 (which runs from 12 June to 12 July). He is also planning to clear out some of the dead wood within the squad.
The Gunners had a relatively relaxed winter transfer window with just two arrivals, both defenders - Pablo Marí and Cédric Soares. That implies that there will be more movement during the summer. Arteta, who took over as manager in December, wants to restore the club's former greatness but to do that, he needs a complete squad overhaul. One of the players he has in mind is Feyenoord midfielder Orkun Kökcü.
The Basque coach must also find a solution for Mesut Özil, who wa close to leaving the club last month but the move was blocked by Arteta. The German could be allowed to move on over the summer - as could Alexandre Lacazette, who has failed to win over the coach. Another player who hasn't impressed is David Luiz, who now has competition from Marí and Cédric. Dani Ceballos meanwhile, will return to Real Madrid at the end of his loan in June.
Arsenal transfer dealings depend on Aubameyang
The biggest worry for Arsenal is the possibility of Aubameyang leaving to join Barcelona. The striker is on Barça's list of candidates to strengthen the team's attack. If he leaves, Arteta would need to find a replacement. Aubamayang is under contract until 2021 and has yet to accept an offer to renew. He has scored 14 goals this season in the Premier League - the third top scorer in the league.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?