Barcelona wanted to bring Iniesta back in January transfer window
Barcelona sounded out Iniesta on the chance of a return and while he rejected, he was surprised by the offer as the club scrambled to improve their squad.
Barcelona were planning to bring Andrés Iniesta back to club as a new signing in the winter transfer market and made an offer to their former star. The news first appeared in Sport and has since been confirmed by AS from people close to the Vissel Kobe player.
On Saturday, the fomer Barça player won his second title with the Japanese side after the won the Super Cup. Vissel Kobe were taken to penalties by Yokahoma FM after it finished 3-3. Iniesta played in central midfield along with another former Barcelona players, Sergi Samper. Thomas Vermaelen played at the back too.
The Spanish World Cup winning player declined the offer and was surprised that it was made. Iniesta has two years left on his contract with Vissel Kobe and is the captain of the team. The offer is another example of poor squad planning from Barcelona's board and it does not send the best message to the like of Riqui Puig and Arthur Melo.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: who is getting extra money, why and how much?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid and Barça to battle it out for Haaland and Alaba
- EL CLÁSICO Piqué fighting until last minute for El Clásico start
- PREMIER LEAGUE Man City vs Leeds United: live!
- GOLF | AUGUSTA MASTERS 2021 Olazábal dedicates Masters cut to late compatriot Ballesteros
- EL CLÁSICO Real Madrid vs Barcelona: which players have played on both teams?