Barcelona: Lenglet handball "a red card", Sergi Roberto should have gone too - AS resident ref
Eduardo Iturralde says that Clément Lenglet, who went on to score Barça's winner, should have been sent off for giving away Real Betis' penalty.
AS' resident ref, Eduardo Iturralde González, says Barcelona's Clément Lenglet should have been sent off for his early handball in the Blaugrana's 3-2 LaLiga win over Real Betis on Sunday.
Betis were awarded a fifth-minute penalty at the Estadio Benito Villamarín after Nabil Fekir's goal-bound shot hit Lenglet's arm inside the box, with Sergio Canales converting the spot-kick to open the scoring.
Lenglet handball denied Betis a "clear goalscoring opportunity"
Lenglet was shown a yellow card for the infringement, but Iturralde González believes the Frenchman should have been handed a stiffer punishment. "It's a red card," the former FIFA official told AS.
"It's a clear goalscoring opportunity," he explained. "He [Lenglet] is behind the penalty spot and it's a shot which, if it doesn't hit his hand, is going to hit the target."
Roberto lucky not to be sent off for two first-half yellows, says Iturralde González
Meanwhile, Iturralde González also told AS that he felt Barça's Sergi Roberto, who had already been booked, should have seen a second yellow card for a lunge on Carles Aleñá late on in the first half.
Lenglet sent off for second booking after heading in Barcelona winner
Lenglet later scored Barça's winner by heading home Lionel Messi's second-half free-kick delivery, before being dismissed with 10 minutes to go when a foul on Betis' Joaquín Sánchez saw him collect a second yellow.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim